Write What You Love...

One of the most cliched bits of advice given to young writers is to "write what you know." As a teenager I always laughed at that, because my favorite books involved dragons and robots and spaceships. Not exactly something your standard life experience prepares you to write about. Obviously, I was taking the advice a bit too literally—as writers, even speculative fiction writers, we're constantly writing what we know anyway. The decisions our characters make are reflections on the decisions we make in our lives. The traumas and battles are echoes of the fears we ourselves have. In many ways, I think we can't help but write what we know. What we know informs everything.

So that's not really what I'm here to talk about. Instead, I'd like to champion the idea of writing what you love.

Yesterday I went to see Pacific Rim, a movie which I've been looking forward to for years, ever since I found out that Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) was doing a mecha/monster movie. For those of you who haven't been devouring every single interview and tidbit about the movie, it's basically a giant love letter to the kaiju genre (think Godzilla) of Japanese film, which he loved as a child.

And even though I was never into kaiju movies myself, it was probably the most thoroughly enjoyable movie I've seen in a long time. Every moment of it oozed love for the genre. I think I spent the entire movie with this big, ridiculous grin on my face because you could feel how much fun del Toro had making it. It got me thinking about how much better art is when we give in to doing what we love, writing what we really want to write about. And why on earth we'd waste any time doing anything else.

I've heard the same thing from so many aspiring writers (myself included): "What I'd really love to do is X, but..." There's always a reason not to. "I'm not good enough yet" was always my reason for not attempting to write what I really loved. But I've also heard "but there's no market for X right now" and "I don't know if anyone would want to read that."

There are always plenty of reasons not to try it. But the thing is, if you love it, that'll come through in your writing. It always does. Inevitably, readers' favorite parts of books are the parts I most enjoyed writing. When it's a labor of love, the rest falls into place.



10 comments:

Melody Simpson said...

This is just what I needed to be reminded of today. Thanks for this post!

Also, on the last 50 pages of These Broken Stars and loving it!

Melody said...

Great advice. It's my opinion that a reader can only love your book as much as you do. So write what you really, really, really love. :)

Joshua David Bellin, Sci-Fi Author said...

Great post. You just have to have faith as an author that if you love something, someone else will too!

aliyaa said...

That is great and very informative article about rephrasing which is good for every student who like to study about writing. I really happy to read about that post. Keep sharing such kind of articles paragraph rephrasing tool

Joseph Ferguson said...

You need to understand whether you need to summarize a text or to paraphrase it.. Let us take a look at both of these forms of writing to help you understand what can be more useful for you. paraphrase apa format

Unknown said...

Writing could be a heap like sculpture. In each crafts you trim away the surplus to reveal the art inside. Sculptors chip or carve away at stone, wood or clay; writers trim words. Here area unit some tips to guide you on this method. more

Christopher Blevins said...

That may be wonderful and intensely helpful content with regards to rephrasing which in turn is useful for every single university student whom love to analyze with regards to producing. I seriously thrilled to find about that will article. Preserve expressing this sort of form of content. my website

Unknown said...

Thank you for benefiting from times to focus upon this handy of, I setting firmly just concerning it and following in realism gain now comprehending in the ensue away more in the puff of this particular subject issue. In achievement doable, following you create a get of know-how, is it easy to attain your hands on to thoughts modernizing your site together moreover than in the surgically remove from afield more details? It's highly useful to me.rewrite service

Anonymous said...

Write What You Love is really great post. This is very useful article for those people who writing week. some Exposition need in there writing anything in any language. obviously I agree with this article writer. I would like to read more things about the post.

iron man said...

Very informative post. I’m looking for this kind of post. I suggest one thing
more, that you should visit this site too.